This page provides care letter message ideas, and helps you translate your letter into Japanese. Here’s the goal: Get your message into good Japanese at your location so you can package one pair of socks, one English version of your care note, and one Japanese version of your care note in one sealed plastic bag, ready for us to group with others of similar type and distribute to survivors. Proper packaging at your end saves us tons of time.
This page enables anybody to post a message in the comment section, and any bilingual person to jump in and help with translation. Efficient!
Here’s how it works:
- If you would like to create the possibility of a reply from people who receive your socks, include your contact info, which recipients can use to respond later if they would like. No guarantee on that, of course, and any replies will probably arrive months or possibly more than a year later.
- Important: We may have already translated a message similar to yours that’s ready to go. From our chief translator, Makiko: “Oftentimes people are repeating what others have already published. If you need us to translate your name, location, and other personal information, we’d be glad to translate them separately.” Save us time by clicking the link below in search of a message you can use. If you find one, copy it and proceed to Step 4.
- If you’d like us to translate your original message or check your Japanese version of it, enter either or both in a new comment below. Our team of enchanting language elves led by Makiko Oku will spruce it up in a reply.
- Print out your Japanese message, one copy for each pair of socks you’re sending, on whatever paper stock you’d like.
- Insert your letter in each plastic bag containing a pair of socks. You can put the English and Japanese versions on separate pieces of paper, or print them together. Handwriting is also fine. Do whatever you’d like, but be sure each pair of socks comes with your letter — it means the world to survivors.
Happy translating! When done, follow shipping instructions.