Finding Reina

One of our donors, Bonnie, posted the following on our Letters from Survivors page on June 14: “I received an email from a recipient of the socks that my girl scout troop collected. Thank you, Socks for Japan, for all of your hard work!” Here’s the email:

Hello. Nice to meet you.
My name is Reina.
I live in Onagawa town in Miyagi Japan.
My family received the disaster on March 11.
I lived in the close vicinity of the sea. The house has collapsed by the tsunami.
It was lucky, and the family who lived together was safe. However, the grandfather is missing still.

Socks were gotten on June 4.
Volunteer’s people brought it.
Volunteer’s name is “Socks for Japan”.
I was glad because in Miyagi Prefecture, there was still a cold day, too.
And, it was impressed by the geniality of people in the world.
I can meet you through “Socks for Japan” and is happy.

Thank you very very mach!

I replied to Bonnie on June 19 that I couldn’t recall Reina specifically but remembered the trip well because it’s when we distributed our 100,000th pair of socks.

Well, guess what? I put two and two together and realized that Reina is the woman to whom I gave a Rolling Stones CD on our final Phase I distribution on July 6! You can read about that and see photos of Onagawa’s temporary shops here. What a small, wonderful world. Here’s Reina receiving her CD:

Reina happy to receive her first Rolling Stones CD

This entry was posted in Socks for Japan. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Steve O'Neal
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Jason,

I think your Socks program was a great success and appreciated a great deal by the recipients. It had to be a lot of work for you and your staff of volunteers but I suspect extremely gratifying as well.
    Best Wishes,
    Steve O’Neal

2. Wendy
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Jason, how wonderful to put two and two together on receiving this sweet letter from Reina….it must be so gratifying to have the folks share their thoughts on the simple acts of kindness that you have given…..
    I just glanced over and see that you are a Jethro Tull fan, oh my gosh I had forgotten about him having loved his music all those years ago….now I am off to find him again..thans for the reminder…You continue as always to be one of my favourite faces and names I see in all the worldly chaos..

Blessings and much love, Wendy and Cookie Cat, Wa. state…..xox

3. Melody Lubart
    Posted August 11, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Excellent news. Your program is wonderful. I ‘m glad the socks are helping. How sweet that you put two and two together and made 4!!

lol

Melody

4. Al
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Isn’t it great that socks can warm the heart as well as the feet.

5. Mindy Chin
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Dear Jason,

Thank you so very much for all the updates you have been sending to us ^.^ It’s great to know that our small contributions have warmed many feets during those difficult periods.

I haven’t heard from anyone who has received my socks, but I think it’s just a matter of time before someone does. I’m sure communication is not an easy feat, seeing that most places probably don’t have Internet connection.

Thanks again to you and all the Socks for Japan volunteers for all the hard work and dedication.

Regards,
    Mindy Chin
    K. Lumpur, Malaysia

6. Posted October 1, 2011 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Hi Jason:

What a wonderful thing you are doing with your Socks for Japan campaign. I just returned to the states on Saturday after spending two weeks in Japan. My son lives in Aomori prefecture and I had shipped him 1496 knittied and crocheted hats, scarves and mittens in preparation for the severe winters in the disaster area. Last week the two of us delivered most of the items to Ishinomaki and Kamaishi. The remainder we mailed to the recipients, because it was too far for us to travel to in his limited time off of work.

Thank you for everything you are doing. We met with such gratitude from all the people and I’m sure you are finding the same thing.

Blessings,
    Betsy Queen
    Spokane, WA

• The Kelly Letter
    A Complete Investment Management System
    The Kelly Letter  every Sunday morning by email.
    Like no other. Many subscribers say this is the best read of their week, astonishing in its ability to distill seven days of noise into one succinct overview of the very few items that might matter. Start your Sundays right!
    A one-page Quick Start Guide
    with page number references to full information in The 3% Signal. You'll receive access to this right away so you can begin transforming your portfolio into a performance machine immediately.
    The 3Sig Calculator.
    A thing of beauty! You'll use it to generate your own personal signals every quarter including exact share amounts to buy and sell based on your account balances. It emails you the results to make later quarters easy by keeping last quarter's numbers at your fingertips. Some subscribers say this tool alone justifies their subscription price.
    The subscriber-only section of this website
    where likeminded investors are commenting on notes and discussing in forums. Jason joins these interactions every day. They're a treasure trove of investing tips and wisdom.
    The archive of Kelly Letter notes.
    It’s a research center, searchable and smartly tagged to make gathering time-stamped material on covered subjects easy.
    The subscriber podcast.
    Jason reads every letter word-for-word. This feature was requested by subscribers who prefer audio learning. They listen on their Monday morning commute, during a workout, or while reading along at their computer.

$200/year
    Save 17%

$20/month
    Pay as you go
    Or sign up to receive free email and learn more about the system.