First Phase Complete

A hearty thank-you to all of the donors and volunteers who launched Socks for Japan quickly after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, and kept it going strong during the critical early months following the disaster. Your generosity in time, money, and work hours warmed the feet and cheered the hearts of tens of thousands of survivors.

Socks for Japan completed Phase I of its operation last week. From our March 23 distribution in Ibaraki to our July 6 distribution in Ishinomaki and Onagawa, we made 32 trips and delivered more than 150,000 pairs of socks and care letters from around the world! Take a look at the schedule.

We’re on hiatus until Phase II this autumn, when the weather cools down and the need for warm socks reasserts itself. Our inventory of undistributed socks is safely sorted, packed, and ready to go. Nothing will be wasted. We’re keeping in touch with our field contacts to monitor the situation in the disaster zone. We’ll also catch up on confirmation emails to donors.

Finally, I plan to fill in the gaps in reporting that you’ll notice on the schedule. The pace of our distributions became so intense over the past six weeks that I could not write as many trip reports as I wanted. All of my notes and photos are waiting, however, and I’ll get to them now that time permits. In the interim, please catch up on past reports and photos via the Socks for Japan topic or the list on the right side of the home page.

Thank you, again, to everybody who breathed life into this heartwarming effort that showed survivors they weren’t alone. The spirit matters, as every one of us whose hand was grasped in gratitude can attest. Your socks and letters sent, hours worked, and money spent benefited people quickly and directly. There was nothing abstract about it. People are better off today because of what you did, and I’m honored to have occupied the space in between.

More soon,
Jason Kelly

This entry was posted in Socks for Japan. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Brennan Koh
    Posted July 25, 2011 at 2:52 am | Permalink

Amazing work done by amazing people. Thank you to you and your team. The socks have brought warmth to their feet but you and your team have warmed our hearts.

2. TimHand
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jason,for the awesome job that u and ur super staff do in Japan.When I read the letters my eyes start to water and my heasrt swells with joy.I pray for all of Japan and the whole world that it only takes a small few to make an enormous difference,amen.

thanks sooo much for ur time and caring.
    Tim

3. Posted September 3, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

Jason,

First, thank you for all your hard work and great efforts. So many have benefited from it, as well as from following your writings. I am an artist, and used to live in Japan. I started painting 5″ x 5″ cherry blossom paintings. I would like to hand-deliver one-to-one these 40 small paintings to displaced people, especially elderly, on the anniversary day of the tsunami. If you have time, I would like to email you with some logistical questions. A Japanese friend of mine from Tsukuba,Ibaraki will join me.
    Thank you again.
    Anne

• Posted September 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

That’s a lovely idea, Anne. Feel free to email me your questions. I’ll be happy to answer, and possibly invite you to join us on a one-year anniversary distribution. We’re not that far along yet, but we’ll certainly be doing something on that day. Prior to that, we need to successfully run Phase II of Socks for Japan!

4. Angela Azimi
    Posted September 13, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Jason

My son’s school sent a large box of socks back in May and the children have been asking whether it arrived safely and whether their socks have been distributed yet. I wonder if you could e-mail us to let the children know? The name of the school is Forestville Montessori School in Sydney, Australia. You can use my e-mail address and I will pass your message on to the children at school.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Kind regards

• Posted September 14, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Hi Angela,

Yes, I will check on that and get back to you soon. Thank you so much for helping us out!

Jason

• Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Guess what? We found it, processed on May 27. Yours was one of our last confirmations to be sent (way too late, I know) this week before we begin Phase II. Look for a confirmation email.

Thank you, again!
      Jason

• The Kelly Letter
    A Complete Investment Management System
    The Kelly Letter  every Sunday morning by email.
    Like no other. Many subscribers say this is the best read of their week, astonishing in its ability to distill seven days of noise into one succinct overview of the very few items that might matter. Start your Sundays right!
    A one-page Quick Start Guide
    with page number references to full information in The 3% Signal. You'll receive access to this right away so you can begin transforming your portfolio into a performance machine immediately.
    The 3Sig Calculator.
    A thing of beauty! You'll use it to generate your own personal signals every quarter including exact share amounts to buy and sell based on your account balances. It emails you the results to make later quarters easy by keeping last quarter's numbers at your fingertips. Some subscribers say this tool alone justifies their subscription price.
    The subscriber-only section of this website
    where likeminded investors are commenting on notes and discussing in forums. Jason joins these interactions every day. They're a treasure trove of investing tips and wisdom.
    The archive of Kelly Letter notes.
    It’s a research center, searchable and smartly tagged to make gathering time-stamped material on covered subjects easy.
    The subscriber podcast.
    Jason reads every letter word-for-word. This feature was requested by subscribers who prefer audio learning. They listen on their Monday morning commute, during a workout, or while reading along at their computer.

$200/year
    Save 17%

$20/month
    Pay as you go
    Or sign up to receive free email and learn more about the system.