Cleaned Out

The power interruptions and damage to infrastructure are leaving stores in Japan’s earthquake area sold out. Gas stations are rationing, but closing one by one as they go dry. Between a third and half of the shops in my town, Sano, are closed for various reasons, not least of which is to let society catch its breath. The following pictures were taken by mobile phone at stores in Sano:

This entry was posted in Personal News. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Charles Watts
    Posted March 15, 2011 at 2:06 am | Permalink

Let us know if you all need personal hygiene items or food stuffs.

• Posted March 15, 2011 at 2:48 am | Permalink

Thanks, Charles. For now, we’re getting by because people farther south are sending up supplies to friends and family. Also, stores are working up better distribution that should come online in the next few days. It’s good to be stocked up, which I always am thanks to having grown up in the Rockies with frequent power outages in winter.

• Sandy Caldwell Van~
        Posted March 15, 2011 at 6:48 am | Permalink

I was in Emily’s class in Estes Park. I am on Okinawa. Please let me know if you need me to send you anything. I am sure Adrieke and I can help if you need anything. We are Military so we have US mailing addresses but also access to the Japanese Postal system.

• Posted March 15, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Thank you, Sandy (and Adrieke). I’ll stay in touch.

2. Cory R
    Posted March 15, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

What are those sad, lonely packages left over in photo #3?

All the best to you and the people of Japan for a quick return to peaceful normality, or as close to it as one could hope with so much devastation.

3. "G" in Seattle
    Posted March 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Jason, thanks for such sensible blogging/reporting. I’m very appreciative of bloggers like yourself. I’m getting kinda crazy with our media’s style of tabloid journalism/sensationalism. It’s freaking out people over here. Oh, if they manage to sell “Rocky Mountain oysters” …HOARD those bro! Let the locals eat their sushi. :) Hey, stay safe and take more pics. I’ll spread your blog. Peace.

• Here are your three options:

Option 1: Annual Subscription

For just $236.97 per year, you’ll receive everything listed above to completely upgrade the way you manage your investments, including a copy of The 3% Signal. This is what I recommend:

Option 2:Monthly Subscription

If you'd like to try The Kelly Letter  without paying the full year, you can pay $19.97 per month, but it will not include a copy of The 3% Signal :

Option 3:Free Email List

If you'd like to hear more from me but aren't ready to part with any money yet, you're welcome to join my free email list:

Join the free list

Thank you for the work you do. You're a household name here and my wife and I often discuss your letters on Sundays. My ten- and seven-year-old children recognize your name and will eventually be taught to invest using 3Sig and 6Sig. You've had an enormously positive impact on our investing and inspired me to look at the world in more rational and clear terms than I did years ago. I'm sure that thousands of others would say the same. Kelly Letter subscriber Matt Barnes
    Matt Barnes
    Product Line Director
    OCLC

Join Matt and thousands of other rational investors to invest without stress.